Next October 14th we will celebrate World PhotoBook Day, after Anna Atkins’ publication Photographs of British algae. Cyanotype impressions. This has been acclaimed as the first book made out of photographs ever, and on the 176th anniversary of the acquisition by the British Museum we’d like you to join and celebrate with us.
This year, on World Photobook Day, we would love to hear from you, the reader, about your experience with a particular photobook. So, we are asking that you share a reflection on your reading of a particular book with 3 words, as hashtags #. You might choose your latest purchase, the book you only get to read at your friend’s house, or a book you didn’t enjoy and passed along. Tags can be abstract or precise, and we certainly don’t mind some criticality! Don’t forget to add this year hashtag #readerAnna!
As with every year, we know there is not much time to organize large events. We can propose some easy activities you can undertake to celebrate locally this global event:
- Post a #PhotoBookDay Selfie or a Shelfie on social media: an image with you and your current favourite photobook.
- Ask your local library to buy local self-published photobooks and photozines, we are sure you can give them some ideas.
- Buy a photobook. Many bookshops and publishers will make special discounts for the day. Follow your favourite bookshops on social media or search for #PhotoBookDay for offers and discounts.
- If you make or sell books, offer your customers discounts or some special goodies. If you run a bookshop a special 5% discount, or free shipping costs, will make your clients happy. Don’t forget to announce it with #PhotoBookDay on your usual social media channels.
- Search for a PhotoBook Club in your city to meet with other people and share photobooks. If there is no one, PhotoBookDay can be a good day to start one. We’ll make a list with activities organized by clubs all around the globe.
- Show your love for photobooks via instagram or twitter with the hashtag #PhotoBookDay.
We have some visuals you can use to add to your posters and social network communications that you will find on this site. And please, tell us what you did for World PhotoBook Day 2019. We hope we all have fun this day with photobooks.
Organise! Participate! Celebrate! World Photobook Day has been set up as a collaboration between the organizers of Photobook Club Madrid, Victoria Cooper, Doug Spowart and Matt Johnston. Celebrating the photobook, born in 1843.
Victoria Cooper + Doug Spowart
Bonifacio Barrio Hijosa