For the third year we are celebrating World #PhotoBookDay on October 14th. This date marks the anniversary of the purchase by the British Museum of the first known photobook: Photographs of British algae. Cyanotype impressions, by Anna Atkins. Now this first copy belongs in the British Library.
We’d love everyone to celebrate it and join this global event by organizing an action related to photobooks in your own city. Please share your activities on social media using the hashtag #PhotoBookDay, it will be the best way for everyone in your local community to reach your activity.
As every year, we know there is not much time to organize large events, it can be as simple as sharing your loved photobooks with your friends, they are photobookies or not. On this map you can consult some of the activities organized on 2014. And here we can propose easy actions you can take to celebrate locally this global event:
- Post a #PhotoBookDay Selfie or Shelfie on social media: an image with you and your current favourite photobook.
- Discuss your love of photobooks via the twitter hashtag #PhotoBookDay. Or on instagram, too.
- Spread the love by sharing something you think someone will like, not something you think they should like.
- Donate a self-published photobook or photozine to your nearest public library or school library. Where we can we will publish a list of public libraries accepting donations this day.
- If you are in charge of a library, accept donations, but also consider to purchase and support self-pulished photobooks and photozines on this special day and mark your book record with a special note to PhotoBookDay.
- Buy a photobook. Many bookshops and publishers will make special discounts for the day. Follow your favourite bookshops on social media or search for #PhotoBookDay for offers and discounts.
- If you run a bookshop or a publishing house, announce your discounts or special goodies with #PhotoBookDay on your usual social media channels.
- Search for a PhotoBook Club in your city to meet with like minded people and share photobooks. If there is no one, PhotoBookDay can be a good day to start one. We’ll make a list with activities organized by clubs all around the globe.
And please, share with us your comments on how you spent the day with #PhotoBookDay. We hope we all have fun this day with photobooks.
Organise! Participate! Celebrate! The World Photobook Day has been set up as a collaboration between the organizers of Photobook Club Madrid and Matt Johnston. Celebrating the photobook, born in 1843.
Bonifacio Barrio Hijosa